Central Otago Rail Trail Highlights Trail Run
- Duration: 6 Hours (approx.)
- Location: Wanaka, Otago
Ever wanted to experience the Central Otago Rail Trail but didn’t have the time? Well now you can get a taste of the trail and see the main highlights all by foot. Travel down to Lauder and run out over the 2 longest bridges (viaducts) and through the 2 longest tunnels on the trail. This tour is very unique and comes with the option of hiring a bike to cover the distance or to share the distance with someone else (own expense).
Suitable for the keen runner, average time 2-3 hours (17km return). Pick up from 7am, drop off approx 1pm. $129 per person (2 person min, no single supplement available. If you are really keen on this tour and are a solo traveller we can put you on a waitlist to see if anyone else books).
Suitable for 18+ years.
- Your mandatory gear requirements will be confirmed prior to the tour and is dependent on weather conditions. You maybe excluded from the tour if you have insufficient gear.
- Your pickup location and time will be confirmed prior to the tour.
Possible Gear Suggestions
- Hat and sunscreen (additional sunscreen will be available if necessary)
- Appropriate footwear with good tread. No jandals/thongs/flip flops.
- Sufficient hydration – minimum capacity will be advised prior to tour
- Sufficient nutrition
- Appropriate rain jacket (preferably seam sealed)
- A small day backpack or running pack with sufficient storage capacity
- Merino or thermal long sleeve top (cold weather only)
- Warm beanie (cold weather only)
- Polyprop/thermal gloves (cold weather only)
- Mobile phone
- Small personal first aid kit if available
- Personal medication (if applicable)
RunAways Wanaka’s guided running tours provide an alternative way of finding run locations in the Wanaka area without the hassle of finding transport, directions and track information yourself. While the mountains are our primary focus (there’s kinda a lot of mountains around Wanaka) we do have a few ‘flatter’ runs for those looking to take things a little easier. The guided runs are classed as runs however we do a lot of ‘power hiking’ on the majority of the ascents (as to not blow up and bonk!). We offer:
- Pick-up and drop-off at your chosen local accommodation
- Transport in a safe and comfortable 4wd vehicle
- Commentary and local knowledge of the track and area
- Support and encouragement during the run e.g. “You’re slower than soup with chopticks!” (just kidding)
- Different guided runs of varying difficulty – something to suit all types of runners
- An intimate small group environment – maximum of 6 people
- An experienced and local guide
- Chilled water/snacks/sunscreen/insect repellent provided
- Discounts to a leading local outdoor retailer